Sunday, November 02, 2008

Chongqing


We've arrived in Chongqing (pronounced something like "Chongching or Chongchin") at round 1700 today, after a flight delay of a couple of hours. That was alright, since we were in no rush to get anywhere, and the new airport is nice, clean, modern and bright. They even fed us a full meal while we waited. Airplane food, but hey, they didn't owe us anything, so that was a nice bonus (and yes, it was of course Chinese food)!

.

Chongqing is a city built on a series of hills. It is currently the largest city in China, at 30+M. It is a district within Sichuan province. It has a landmass the size of Austria's. We've never seen so much construction in one place. Very very few pockets of traditional buildings (we only saw two in our 30 minute ride from the airport), surrounded by buildings in various states of construction, many of which look old and crumbly, and which appear to have squatters living within their cement shells. Right beside those are some very modern skyscrapers. It looks more 'rural' somehow than Beijing, and definitely subtropical (same lattitude as Houston Texas).

.

We walked into our hotel room to find that we had again 2 Bert and Ernie beds. Then next door to Mom and Dad's, where we found a king sized bed and a crib. Guess who had to switch rooms?

.

We're looking forward to tomorrow. Rick says he's very excited, and it 'hit home' when he saw the crib in the room. We'll set out at 0830, drive about 3 hours to Liangping SWI (the orphanage), to finally meet Savannah tomorrow. Can't wait!

.

Cheers! And thanks oh loyal fan base of Savannah's! We can't wait to see you guys!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! How cool is that to have the crib and all ready in your room! Yep, it sure must feel more real now! I am happy that all of your travels seem to be pleasant. The jet lag must be quite the adjustment. We are thinking of you all the time.

David keeps telling everyone he knows that Grandmaman and Grandpapa are "au ciel". I keep having to explain to whomever that they are safe and sound and that he just means that they had a flight and are not "au ciel". Ha! Ha!

It is sooooo cool to see on your blog that after 3 years, 6 months, 1 week and 3 days that Gotcha Day is finally here!

We can't wait to see the next blog. Your picutures so far on the blog are coming through just fine (hint, hint).

More than anything, I am just so anxious for you guys to finally have her in your arms. Although it might take a while for her to get to know you, I am sure she will do just fine.

We can't wait to spoil her rotten!

The Morris Family

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! After a long wait Gotcha Day is finally here! I'm so happy for you guys. I'm sitting her at work and can't stop thinking about what you must be feeling right now.It brings tears to my eyes. I can't wait to see pictures of you two with your little girl Savannah.

Terri

Julie said...

Hey Guys,

Sounds like things are going well and you all made it there safe and sound. I think about you often and am also looking forward to the next entries with family pictures. Congratulations on Gotcha Day!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
How cute is that little crib. As I write this at 20:48 I wonder if you are already holding your daughter in your arms. Please give her a big hug and kiss from all of us who can't wait to see her (I'm with Josee..hint hint)
I'm so happy that this day has finally arrived.
Joanne

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

I am so excited, words cannot express the joy!!

You are going to be such AMAZING parents!!

Love and hugs and all GOd's Blessings!!!!!
The Antonioni FAmily xoo

Anonymous said...

I keep checking for the new pictures. I think that I have this time thing down... but of course, I just thought of the fact that we have now switched to daylight saving time. I thought that you were getting Savannah on the 2nd but have to determine whether that is your second and our Nov. 1st or if it means our 2nd and your 3rd. Anyway, I've been checking for new pics all day just in case I had screwed up the time. It helps that you write the time that you write because the computer automatically adjusts to our time and it gets weird to figure out if you are talking about today or tomorrow... you get the picture. I hate to say it but can't wait for your trip to be over so that we can all meet Savannah in person soon. I hope that despite the anticipation, that you will be able to enjoy your trip and new family beginning together. See you all in a few weeks.

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
I am glad to read that I am not the only trying to actually figure out the date and time.
I keep logging on to see pictures but I guess it might be only noonish there ?!?!?!?...maybe
Joanne

More Savannah!

Savannah!