


Well, there's no turning back now: with a full day of paperwork completed, Savannah is officially adopted! All morning and all afternoon, we completed the documentation required here to apply for her passport and to make her a part of our family. Then this evening, all nine families went to a local restaurant (totally not fancy - skinny little park benches for seats - you get the picture), with a dining room similar to Momma Poons' (although the latter is nicer), complete with a few flies. The food was absolutely delicious, and the prices couldn't be beat. Afterward, our travel guide, Lily, provided some beautiful fine textured yellow cakes, complete with whipped cream icing, to celebrate this big day (as you can tell, she's very thoughtful, and we wouldn't have breezed through this without her).
Savannah is doing well. She's definitely shell shocked, and it's hard to get and maintain her attention. It's like there's a protective wall there. She loves being in our arms however, and just snuggles right in. She cries her little heart out as soon as we put her down, but we do anyway, for a few minutes at a time, so she can learn that yes, we will come right back for her. We can't bear to have her cry for very long however, and we so enjoy carrying her around (good thing she likes our baby carrier!). Her favourite amusement is looking in the mirror, and looking in the little mirror in one of the books gifted to her at her shower (thanks!). I think I know why: there were large mirrors in both playrooms at the orphanage. Not only must looking into them remind her of that, but, more importantly, her reflection is all she has left of what's familiar to her. Imagine that for a moment... No wonder she hasn't laughed yet, and only has smiled fleetingly once. None of this is unexpected though, and it will get better.
Our group donated a washing machine to the orphanage today. We also gave them a bagful of stuffed toys sent by Serge and Valerie, and it was so so appreciated!
Walking down the street as a Caucasian couple with an Asian baby in China is quite an experience. We literally get swarmed, mostly by women who stare and point and smile and laugh. They are quite overtly curious, but friendly and joyous. I wish I knew way way way more Mandarin!
Thanks to all who blogged messages yesterday. We appreciated each one! You're the BEST!
Cheers!
PS: Josee - Viva Los Vegas. Also, notice the toy and outfit you gave Savannah in one of the photos.
PPS: Elaine - tell us when a good time to call you might be, and we'll give it a whirl. Remember, we're 13 hours ahead of you.






7 comments:
LOVE the new pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wan't going to check again today but I am so glad I did! Josee emailed me the blog and I called her right before, they are soooooo happy!!! She is just as excited about becoming and Auntie as you are parents!!! Glad its official and she is doing well. Remember I had told you that with Cheryl all the babies were sick! So that is wonderful you have her healthy! How meat you got to see her at the orphanage. That information will be important to her later on!!! Don't forget to shop lots!!!! They have the best shoes there! Julia is still wearing shoes Cheryl bought over there and she is 4! Shop till you drop!
So so happy for you!
Tracey
Cutie Pie !!!
It sounds like you are having an amazing time.
I'm so happy that you were able to see her first home. I know that was important to the two of you. I was surprised that she is doing wo well right off the bat with you. She must sense she is a lucky little girl!
Take care
Joanne
Dear Lebeau family,
You look so very happy!
Your little girly is so beautiful. Can't wait to meet her.
Hugs and kisses from Julia and Alex.
I love your pictures.
Keep them coming if you can.
Congratulations Again!
Tanje, Derek, Julia and Alex xoxo
She is absolutely gorgeous and you both are radiating. Can';t wait to see her in person.
Congrats, Congrats, Congrats,
Anna/Joce/Meg
Heyy Guys
Oh my gosh she is sooo cute.I check this website so many times just to look at these pictures.These few days that you have been gone seem like forever and you still have two more weeks what am I going to do?/ Anyways can't wait for you guys to get back so I can babysit her...how about the day you get back i can babysit? Sounds like an Idea too me
Love Jenna
XOXOXoXoXoXoXoXo Give her even more then this
We are so very pleased to know that everything is going so well! We are so happy to see updates and pictures, she is so beautiful!! We can't wait to meet her. We think about you guys everyday!! Hope to see more pics on here...it's a good way to feel connected to what you guys are going through right now!!! Ryan and Chris can't stop talking about Savannah! They've told all of their friends. So have I!!! Love you guys, keep safe!
Tania, Marcel, Christine and Ryan Lebeau
I am glad that Savannah enjoys being picked up and carried around. I know of a grand-papa that would have a difficult time doing anything but. lol. Speaking of grand-papa, I am glad that you are enjoying the food as I was wondering if that might be an issue. It is great that you are having the opportunity to experience outings that would not otherwise be typical for "new" parents. I hope that you are both adjusting to parenthood without too many difficulties. Keep the pictures coming so that we can keep track of what you are all up to. Take care and we'll chat again soon.
Eel.
Post a Comment