Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Tian'anmen and the Forbidden City










What a day! I've never taken so many photos in my life, between Savannah's and the photos of Tian'anmen Square and the Forbidden City. I know I've used the word 'amazing' a lot, but what can I say? It applies yet again! The square is more plain. It's its history that is moving. We did see a lot of people lined up to see Mao's mauseleum. It's kind of surprising to see how some still revere him to this day.

The Forbidden City is truly massive: 500 metres wide by 800 long, with square after square, each a more impressive echo of the last. We also saw a concubine's quarters, and a multitude of signature Chinese-style buildings. The best part was the Imperial Garden, comprised of pockmarked and porous stones, pavillions, 300+ year old cypress trees, and water features. A photographer's dream!

Savannah continues to thrive. She's eating a little better, and so far is a very happy baby. She loves her grandparents, and they get a charge out of her. She's got a pretty predictable routine, and we stick to it (thank God she can sleep and drink in the carrier, because she comes all over the place with us). We really don't see a lot of the hotel room: we're up at 0700, out on the bus by 0915, and on the go until usually 1700 or later, then back out for supper. We're looking forward to going home to see y'all, but otherwise I'm in no rush to go, as I'm thoroughly enjoying this trip.

A few impressions of China: the people we've met have been amazingly friendly, all over the place. We've gotten a number of thumbs up signs from men and women when they see us carrying an Asian baby, and groups often flock around us to see her, point, smile and laugh. They love our translation card which says we're from Canada, have adopted this 9 month old baby, and that we're very happy. Billboard advertising is visible everywhere in the cities, as in any large metropolis (and these are humongous!), and what's striking there is that many feature caucasian women (but Asian men). It's probably more of a women's issue than a Chinese issue. After all, just think of how Asian women are portrayed in North America... English is pervasive (invasive?), as signs everywhere are visible both in the latter and in Chinese. Strange. And not just in Beijing, but in distant Chongqing as well.
Hi Josee, Mike, Vanessa and David! I'm sure Savannah will totally enjoy playing with you two!Yes, we could use some Nestle Good Start 0 to 12 months+ with the Omega 3s and 6s, 1 can, please. And a couple of jars of baby food, preferably veggies or meat. Gracias! Hi Jenna, Christy, Tessa and Marcus! I'm pretty sure Savannah will have a blast with y'all! And hi Respiratory crew! Hope all's well with you!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonjour à vous!
Comme ça doit être intéressant mais combien exténuant tout vos allés et venue dans cette extraordinaire République populaire de Chine, qui plus est, avec votre petit trésor Savannah ! Une chose est certaine, il doit y avoir de l'émotion dans l'air ! On vous embrasse, on est avec vous !
Valérie + Serge

Anonymous said...

Hey gang! Now that it as almost time for you to return, I finally got to read your blog. Had to get Elaine to show us how to access it. Sorry, but we just aren't that computer literate. It is a great read, and the pictures supurb - especially those of the new great niece, or as you put it, honorary grandaughter. Amazing journal! what an experience - a new baby, and all that travelling as well. We are both so excited for you, and cant wait to meet Savannah. Not long now.

Anonymous said...

Countdown is on....
What a wonderful experience for all of you.
I'm going to think twice about dinner at your house, you have easy access to amphibians.
I think perhaps Tania and family could go first...hahaha
Anyways we're excited !!!
Joanne

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue & Family

Nat and I have LOVED reading all about your trip and seeing all the wonderful pictures. Thank you for sharing!

Lindsay & Nat in PR

Anonymous said...

Hi guys!

It sounds like are all having a wonderful time. These past few weeks will provide many great stories for Savannah as you tuck her into bed at night once you finally bring her home. China and it's people sound beautiful.

As you will surely be sad to leave China, know that many new adventures await you at home. After all these years of just being the two of you, it will sure feel strange to have an extra person in your home. On the other hand, it sounds like she has already made her place in your hearts and hopefully brining her home will be a smoothe transition. At least, she will already know her Mom and Dad and one set of Grandparents so not all will be unfamiliar.

We are so, so, so anxious to see her. Everyone at my work sends their congratulations and best wishes and all agree that Savannah is simply the best!

As for the groceries, we will take care of that for you. Mike will be disappointed with the baby food and whatnot as he told me that he cannot wait to spoil her with candy. I will do the shopping myself.

Three more sleeps...

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

The Morrises

Three more sleeps.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,
I found out today how to send a comment! I'm not very computer literate when it comes to that!
As soon as I'm up in the morning, I go to the computer to see what that beautiful little girl and her loving family have been up to!
She really is precious...it doesn't take long for the wee ones to figure out who is important in their life...I'm am so thrilled for all of you!
Have a safe trip home.
A friend always,
Gib

More Savannah!

Savannah!